The Piazza del Duomo in Pisa, Italy is home to four great monuments, which are the cathedral, the famous Leaning Tower, the cemetery, and the baptistry. The architecture of these buildings was an inspiration to other monuments built in Italy between the 11th and the 14th century.
The Piazza del Duomo is nicknamed the Piazza of Miracles and sits over a large green field. Made out of white marble, these four monuments are a beautiful sight to see for visitors from all over the world.
Duomo of Santa Maria Assunta
The Cathedral, called the Duomo of Santa Maria Assunta, was first founded in the year 1064 during the Maritime Republic’s time in power. Great works of art can be seen inside, including the pulpit which shows the life of Christ, painted by Giovanni Pisano.
The cathedral was built with pure white marble and has five naves in total, with intricate decorations all around that have Arab influence.
The Baptistry was founded in 1152 but was not completed until the 14th century. Also built with white marble, this building was designed to have great acoustics inside and is known to echo.
It was built symmetrically and has two domes making up the roof. The baptistry is the largest one in the world, and this is also where Galileo was baptized.
The ancient cemetery, also called the Camposanto, began in 1278 and is enclosed by a white marble fence. Beautiful frescoes showing scenes such as the Universal Judgement and the Triumph of Death used to adorn the walls of a cloister, but a fire destroyed them back in the 1940’s.
The Leaning Tower, also called the Campanile, is the most famous landmark here.
Due to the land sinking, the tower is set on a steep incline at a slant of 4 degrees. The tower first started being built in 1173 and was not completely finished until the later part of the 1300’s.
Visitors can climb up this tower and see amazing views of the surrounding scenery.