This site, which was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1996, originally comprised the groups of buildings and monuments located in Weimar and Dessau, all built under the direction of Walter Gropius, the first director of the Bauhaus School.
The extension of the property includes the Houses with Balcony Access in Dessau – five storey brick blocks for low-income inhabitants – and the ADGB Trade Union School in Bernau built under the direction of Hannes Meyer, successor to Gropius until 1930.
This extension reflects the contribution of the department of architecture to the austere design, functionalism and social reform of the Bauhaus, a movement which was to revolutionise architectural thinking and practice in the 20th century.- UNESCO (CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0)
11 sites in this World Heritage
- The Former School of Art
- The former School of Applied Art
- The House Am Horn
- The Bauhaus
- The Masters’ Houses
- House with Balcony access - Peterholzstr. 40
- House with Balcony access - Peterholzstr. 48
- House with Balcony access - Peterholzstr. 56
- House with Balcony access - Mittelbreite 6
- House with Balcony access - Mittelbreite 14
- The ADGB Trade Union School