The site is located in the central/southern portion of the Yucatán Peninsula, in southern Mexico and includes the remains of the important Maya city Calakmul, set deep in the tropical forest of the Tierras Bajas.
The city played a key role in the history of this region for more than twelve centuries and is characterized by well-preserved structures providing a vivid picture of life in an ancient Maya capital.
The property also falls within the Mesoamerica biodiversity hotspot, the third largest in the world, encompassing all subtropical and tropical ecosystems from central Mexico to the Panama Canal.- UNESCO (CC-BY-SA IGO 3.0)
Ancient Maya City and Protected Tropical Forests of Calakmul, Campeche
- UNESCO Official Site
- Calakmul: Campeche, Mexico: Mayan ruins, archaeological zone- LocoGringo
- CALAKMUL - THE BIOSPHERE AND THE SURROUNDINGS - Boundless Roads
- Calakmul renominated on UNESCO World Heritage List -Duende Tours
- Calakmul - Unesco World Heritage Site | For World Heritage Travellers
- Forests of Hope site - Selva Maya, Mexico | BirdLife